Real-Time Machine Learning Has Entered The Realm Of The Possible
March 9th, 2023 · 34 mins 29 secs
About this Episode
Machine learning models have predominantly been built and updated in a batch modality. While this is operationally simpler, it doesn't always provide the best experience or capabilities for end users of the model. Tecton has been investing in the infrastructure and workflows that enable building and updating ML models with real-time data to allow you to react to real-world events as they happen. In this episode CTO Kevin Stumpf explores they benefits of real-time machine learning and the systems that are necessary to support the development and maintenance of those models.
- Hello and welcome to the Machine Learning Podcast, the podcast about machine learning and how to bring it from idea to delivery.
- Your host is Tobias Macey and today I'm interviewing Kevin Stumpf about the challenges and promise of real-time ML applications
- How did you get involved in machine learning?
- Can you describe what real-time ML is and some examples of where it might be applied?
- What are the operational and organizational requirements for being able to adopt real-time approaches for ML projects?
- What are some of the ways that real-time requirements influence the scale/scope/architecture of an ML model?
- What are some of the failure modes for real-time vs analytical or operational ML?
- Given the low latency between source/input data being generated or received and a prediction being generated, how does that influence susceptibility to e.g. data drift?
- Data quality and accuracy also become more critical. What are some of the validation strategies that teams need to consider as they move to real-time?
- What are the most interesting, innovative, or unexpected ways that you have seen real-time ML applied?
- What are the most interesting, unexpected, or challenging lessons that you have learned while working on real-time ML systems?
- When is real-time the wrong choice for ML?
- What do you have planned for the future of real-time support for ML in Tecton?
- @kevinmstumpf on Twitter
- From your perspective, what is the biggest barrier to adoption of machine learning today?
- Thank you for listening! Don't forget to check out our other shows. The Data Engineering Podcast covers the latest on modern data management. Podcast.__init__ covers the Python language, its community, and the innovative ways it is being used.
- Visit the site to subscribe to the show, sign up for the mailing list, and read the show notes.
- If you've learned something or tried out a project from the show then tell us about it! Email firstname.lastname@example.org) with your story.
- To help other people find the show please leave a review on iTunes and tell your friends and co-workers
- Uber Michelangelo
- Reinforcement Learning
- Online Learning
- Random Forest
- Linear Regression
- Train-Serve Skew
The intro and outro music is from Hitman's Lovesong feat. Paola Graziano by The Freak Fandango Orchestra/CC BY-SA 3.0Support The Machine Learning Podcast
Join us at the event for the global data community, Data Council Austin. From March 28-30th 2023, we'll play host to hundreds of attendees, 100 top speakers, and dozens of startups that are advancing data science, engineering and AI. Data Council attendees are amazing founders, data scientists, lead engineers, CTOs, heads of data, investors and community organizers who are all working together to build the future of data. As a listener to the Data Engineering Podcast you can get a special discount off tickets by using the promo code dataengpod20. Don't miss out on our only event this year! Visit: themachinelearningpodcast.com/data-council